Yield: 4 servings
- 4 tbs bacon fat
- 1 cup onions (diced)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 tsp garlic1 tbs serrano pepper (minced)
- 2 cups of ground sirloin
- 1/2 cup masa harina corn flour
- 1 tsp mole sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 smoked hamhock
- 1/2 cup tomato (chopped)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 cups cubed meat: venison, lamb, beef, chicken or any type of game meat — or your favorite!
- 4 tbs sour cream1 tbs chives (chopped)
- 2 tsp Mexican oregano
- pinch pasilla chili (ground)
- pinch chipolte chili (ground)
- pinch cumin (ground)
- pinch black pepper (ground)
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seed (ground)
1. In a pot over low heat, add the bacon fat. Add the onions, red bell peppers, garlic and serrano pepper. Sweat until translucent. Add the ground beef until brown. Add the masa harina until a roux forms.
2. Add the mole sauce, tomato paste, chicken stock, hamhock, tomatoes and spices.
Cover and simmer on a low flame for 2 hours. Reserve.
3. When ready to serve, place a saute pan over high heat. Add the oil and sear off the cubed meat.
Stir the meat into the hot chili. Garnish with sour cream and chives.